Published: 19:19 GMT, 27 February 2021 | Updated: 19:19 GMT, 27 February 2021
Inter Milan boss Antonio Conte thinks his star forward Romelu Lukaku could have a career as an American Football player, but no doubt would prefer to have him leading the line as Inter go on the hunt for the Serie A title.
Speaking to Italian outlet Corriere della Sera, Conte said: ‘He is like an American football player.’
Lukaku has become one of the best players in Italy since making the move from Manchester United in 2019, showing off his power and finishing ability on a weekly basis.
‘It is too simplistic to say that he is good when he has open space,’ said Conte. ‘I wish they would let him get into the box. Lukaku or Lautaro [Martinez], I don’t think they are a joy for defenders in the box.
‘Lukaku is an unusual footballer. He is a centre-forward, he acts as a target man, and he is very fast. He is like an American football player.’
NFL players are known for combining size and athletic ability, something very important in the high pace, high impact game of American football.
Lukaku is unlikely to join the NFL, with Inter Milan closing in on a Serie A title this season
But Lukaku’s skills also come in handy on the football pitch, and he has scored 23 goals in 30 games in all competitions in this season alone.
His partnership with Martinez up front has been a big part of why Inter Milan are four points clear at the top of the table, ahead of local rivals AC Milan.
Juventus, who have won the previous nine seasons, look set to miss out on the top spot for the first time since 2011.
27-year-old Lukaku still has plenty of years left, but it seems unlikely he’ll be making the switch to the NFL anytime soon.
Share what you think
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on MailOnline. To do this we will link your MailOnline account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook.
– 'He's like an American football player': Antonio Conte heaps praise on Inter Milan striker Romelu Lukaku, hinting he …
– Lautaro Martinez commits future to Inter Milan and says Barcelona transfer links 'belong in the past' after failed move
– Inter Milan star Lautaro Martinez issues damning Barcelona transfer declaration
– Martinez says his future is at Inter, ends Barcelona speculation
– Lukaku could play American Football – Conte
– 'Lukaku could play American football' – Inter coach Conte hails 'unusual' forward
– Inter Coach Antonio Conte Opts For Matteo Darmian Over Ashley Young Against Genoa, Italian Media Claim
– Lautaro Martinez provides update on his Inter future
– Football: Martinez says his future is at Inter, ends Barcelona speculation
– 'Barcelona are in the past' – Lautaro set to end transfer talk with new Inter contract