Ebene Magazine – Christian Porter denies rape and refuses to resign

0
30
Ebene Magazine - Christian Porter denies rape and refuses to resign

Strongly denying the claim, Porter spoke to the media at a press conference in Perth, saying it « just didn’t happen ».

He refused to step down as attorney general. « I’m not standing aside or aside, » said Porter.

Mr Porter broke his silence with reporters in Perth on Wednesday after NSW police announced they had « insufficient admissible evidence » to conduct an investigation into the alleged rape of a 16-year-old girl in 1988.

With a trembling voice and reluctant tears, he first addressed the alleged victim’s parents and said that they deserved it better than the politicized accusation.

« The things that were said to have happened didn’t happen. I don’t want to force anything more on your grief, » he said.

« I hope you understand, too, because what is being said did not happen. I have to say it publicly. »

The allegations came to light after an anonymous letter with an attachment containing the woman’s reports was sent to Prime Minister Scott Morrison, Senator for Labor Penny Wong and Green Senator Sarah Hanson-Young.

The woman filed a report to the police in 2019 but did not complete her formal statement before she committed suicide in Adelaide in June 2020.

Mr Porter said he knew of a « whispering campaign » before the story broke on Friday, but no one had ever made specific allegations.

It came when the family of a woman who claimed she was raped in 1988 said she continued to suffer « considerable distress » after her sudden death.

There are growing calls for an investigation after the Adelaide woman, who was 16 years old when she was allegedly raped in Sydney, took her own life last year.

In a statement from her lawyer, the woman’s family said the matter was sensitive and she did not want to speak publicly.

However, her friends, including lawyers and business leaders, have joined demands for a coronial investigation into her death.

The development follows NSW police, revealing that there is « insufficient admissible evidence » to conduct an investigation into the alleged rape of a 16-year-old girl in 1988 – before the man entered politics.

Federal opposition leader Anthony Albanese has fired a warning shot at the government, stating that issues related to a historic rape allegation will not go away.

The cabinet minister, who is at the center of the allegations, is expected to make a public statement today.

This is because the woman didn’t complete her formal police statement before she committed suicide in Adelaide last year.

Mr Albanese said the woman had told several people that she wanted an investigation that could be carried out through a coronial investigation in South Australia or an independent investigation similar to the High Court investigation into allegations against Judge Dyson Heydon.

« It is very clear that in my opinion this requires further guidance and action from the Prime Minister and I am waiting for the explanation of the minister involved, » said the Labor leader.

« The presumption of innocence is a critical part of our legal system, but now that existing legal processes have not continued, people will be looking for further answers beyond any testimony of the minister. »

Mr Albanese said he was « disappointed » that Mr Morrison – who told the media this week that the minister denied the allegations – failed to read the document, which was anonymously sent to the prime minister’s office.

« This is in stark contrast to what Scott Morrison said in May 2019 about the need to believe people who come forward, » Albanese said.

« The Prime Minister must assure not only himself but also the Australian people that the Cabinet Minister is appropriate in his current role.

Today, Nationals backbencher Matt Canavan was asked if the cabinet minister, who is at the center of the allegations, should continue his role.

« But if the mere accusation or making an accusation resulted in someone being removed from office, it is obviously a very dangerous precedent. »

Senator Canavan said allegations of this nature should be investigated, but the presumption of innocence should be appreciated.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison this week declined calls for an independent investigation, saying the allegations were a matter for the police and the minister had denied the allegations.

But the dead woman’s attorney, Michael Bradley, told Sunrise that despite the criminal case, a cloud still hangs over the integrity of the cabinet minister accused of « serious crimes. »

« It is now up to the minister and prime minister concerned, » Bradley said.

« I think it would be appropriate for the minister to resign and investigate and then we will see what happens. »

Former Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce has also backed calls for an independent investigation led by former High Court justices.

He said this would prevent allegations of political attack from being « armed by third parties ».

« There should be a process that withholds it from politicians because part of it has political purposes and not really much to do with empathy for the victim, » he told 2 GB.

Mr Joyce also beat up former Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, who on Tuesday cast doubts about the woman’s cause of death.

« You’re also an article about a public charge made by a person who you may have thought was an ally and later found out to be a political enemy, so you have an ax to grind. »

Opposition government accountability spokeswoman Kristina Keneally said Labor will wait for the cabinet minister to provide a statement on the shocking allegations before pushing for an independent investigation.

CHRISTIAN PORTER SPEAKS
Attorney General Christian Porter has been identified as a cabinet minister who has faced historical rape allegations.

The defendant denies the allegation and speaks to the media at a press conference in Perth.

The family of a woman who claimed to have been raped by a current federal minister in 1988 said she continued to suffer « considerable distress » after her sudden death.

There are growing calls for an investigation after the Adelaide woman, who was 16 years old when she was allegedly raped in Sydney, took her own life last year.

In a statement from her lawyer, the woman’s family said the matter was sensitive and she did not want to speak publicly.

There are growing calls for an investigation after the Adelaide woman, who was 16 years old when she was allegedly raped in Sydney, took her own life last year.

In a statement from her lawyer, the woman’s family said the matter was sensitive and she did not want to speak publicly.

However, her friends, including lawyers and business leaders, have joined demands for a coronial investigation into her death.

The development follows NSW police, revealing that there is « insufficient admissible evidence » to conduct an investigation into the alleged rape of a 16-year-old girl in 1988 – before the man entered politics.

Federal opposition leader Anthony Albanese has fired a warning shot at the government, stating that issues related to a historic rape allegation will not go away.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison received an anonymous letter last week with an attachment setting out historical allegations of alleged rape of the man before he entered politics.

The woman alleged she was raped in 1988 in the document referred to the Australian Federal Police.

She died in June 2020 after suicide in Adelaide after reporting the matter to police in 2019.

However, NSW police, who have been the lead authority on this case since 2020, confirmed the matter in a statement Tuesday due to insufficient evidence.

« For various reasons, the woman did not set out her allegations in detail in a formal statement to the NSW police, » it says.

« After the woman’s death, the NSW police came into possession of a personal document that had allegedly previously been made by the woman.

Mr Morrison on Monday denied requests for an independent investigation into the allegation, saying it was a matter for the police.

A Liberal MP who « absolutely opposes » a claim that he raped a young girl in the 1980s is said to be « no good ».

There is increasing pressure on the MP to stand aside and calling for an independent investigation into the matter that has rocked the Parliament building.

Former Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has criticized Scott Morrison’s handling of the allegation and urged the accused MPs to « take a step forward » and purify the air.

He said the prime minister could not outsource his responsibility for the composition of his ministry to the police and that it was now « impossible » for the minister to work in the cabinet.

« Honestly, it’s not good enough for the Prime Minister to say, ‘Oh, it’s a police business, » Turnbull told ABC RN today.

« If the minister had vigorously denied claims against the prime minister, he should also deny them publicly.

« The fact is, he owes it to his peers and the country to take a step forward and say I am the person referred to and then give all the details. »

Mr Turnbull and his wife Lucy received a letter in 2019 about the « very serious » alleged rape of the woman who had died last year.

He said two issues need to be addressed; Her death and the rape allegations he added could be investigated despite the former.

« She went to the NSW police with an attorney. And in 2020, as she was about to sign the final testimony, she committed suicide, » Turnbull said.

« She does this in the week (ex-judge). Dyson Heydon’s behavior is exposed in a High Court report.

« They think these are circumstances in which they would be encouraged in the prospect that a complaint would be taken seriously.

« We don’t know for sure if she took her own life. We know for sure she is dead and there needs to be an investigation. »

Mr Turnbull said that if the allegations had arisen during his tenure as Prime Minister, he would have spoken to the police to see if the minister knew of the complaint and any investigation.

Richard Colbeck, Minister for Elderly Care Services, said the independent agency investigating these types of allegations is the police.

« Are we talking about creating a new authority to investigate these kinds of things? » Mr. Colbeck said.

Former union leader Bill Shorten said today it was important that the police investigate the allegations and hear the woman’s story.

« I think it would be good from the Prime Minister and sensible to assure the Australian people that the Cabinet Secretary will fully cooperate with the police investigation, » said Shorten.

Scott Morrison received an anonymous letter last week from friends of the woman who told police she was raped in 1988 by a man who is now a cabinet minister in Mr Morrison. The woman has since taken her own life.

Mr Morrison told reporters Monday that he had spoken to the minister in question and that he « absolutely denies » the claim.

He said he had discussed correspondence with the AFP commissioner as well as the Prime Minister and Cabinet Secretary and Deputy Secretary Department.

« As I said, I had a discussion with the person who absolutely denies these allegations, » said Morrison.

« Having spoken to the Commissioner, Secretary and Assistant Secretary at this point … there are no matters that need attention. »

When asked if he believed the minister’s rejection, Morrison said it was a « police matter ».

When asked if he had read the evidence presented in the letter, Mr Morrison said he was « informed of the contents ».

« I was informed of their content. And it was appropriate, as the Commissioner himself advised Parliament to forward all allegations to the relevant authorities, » said the Prime Minister.

« This is the rule of law in our country with such things. It is important to ensure that we comply. This is how our society works.

« Well, these are very stressful issues that have been raised as there are other issues that have been raised in other cases in relation to other members.

« But the right place for that is the police, who are the police.

The letter, published Monday by news.com.au, stated: « When news (of the incident) becomes common knowledge … legitimate questions will be asked of who knew what, when they knew and what they were doing. »

It also referred to allegations of sexual assault by a former Liberal worker, whose allegations are currently being investigated by police.

« The perception of justice in the community will be seriously damaged … and Parliament, if at the same time it becomes known that the elderly (like yourself) were aware of the allegation but did nothing.

« This is not a partisan issue … This is a difficult business. Victims share confidential information and sometimes do not want to make claims, at least initially.

« In this case, (the woman) shared her story with many and asked people to help her find justice. To this day, libel laws and political inactivity have adversely affected (her) ability to claim appropriate address. »

If you or someone you know experiences sexual abuse, contact 1800 RESPECT at 1800 737 732.

The defendant denies the allegation and speaks to the media at a press conference in Perth.

The family of a woman who claimed to have been raped by a current federal minister in 1988 said she continued to suffer « considerable distress » after her sudden death.

There are growing calls for an investigation after the Adelaide woman, who was 16 years old when she was allegedly raped in Sydney, took her own life last year.

In a statement from her lawyer, the woman’s family said the matter was sensitive and she did not want to speak publicly.

News

Locals say part of their childhood passed with the death of local chip king Kent Wong.

Food & entertainment

Matt Preston asked readers to name the best pizza restaurant in Bundaberg and the answer makes us drool. SEE THE FINALISTS AND VOTE.

Smarter shopping

We know you want the best local news and we deliver, but did you know you can get more – for free?

News

A stunning old Queenslander has found a new home on the Fraser Coast after moving from Bundaberg in a truck.

News

Bundaberg locals were confused after a light lit the night sky, doors rattled, and made noises described as « sonic booms. »

News

If the past year has taught us anything, we must all support one another. Your support for local journalism is more important than ever.

News

The 2009 Jayco Swan RV trailer with Queensland registration 034UHW was stolen sometime between February 17th and March 2nd

News

Here’s what to expect when the slow moving weather system moves from …

News

Where Sunwater with the Essential Works project and the status of the anchor tests at …

News

Tom Marland: « Ultimately, the farmers don’t want a check from the …

© Bundaberg Newspaper Company Pty Limited 2021. Unauthorized reproduction is prohibited under Australian law and international treaty.

Ref: https://www.news-mail.com.au

QU’EN PENSEZ-VOUS?

[comment]

PUB

Laisser un commentaire, votre avis compte!

[gs-fb-comments]

Laisser un commentaire, votre avis compte!

Laisser un commentaire, votre avis compte!