Everton manager Carlo Ancelotti sprung to the defence of his goalkeeper Jordan Pickford after his mistake cost his side a victory over Leicester City on Wednesday.
Ancelotti’s side were heading into fourth place in the Premier League as they held on grimly to the lead given to them by James Rodriguez’s 30th-minute stunner.
But in the 67th minute Pickford allowed a Youri Tielemans shot to squirm through his arms and into the net.
It will raise further questions about Pickford’s place as England number one, but Ancelotti was not about to blame his keeper for gifting Leicester’s goal.
January 27, 2021 Everton’s Jordan Pickford reacts after Leicester City’s Youri Tielemans scored their first goal [ REUTERS]
« The goal was difficult because the view of Jordan was not so good, there were a lot of legs there and it was difficult to catch the ball and unfortunately they scored, » the Italian said.
« I didn’t speak with him directly and I am not going to speak with him. There is no reason.
« This is not the right place to talk about this. He can do better but it doesn’t matter. »
« We had an opportunity at the end to win but the result is fair. It’s a good point for us, » he said.
Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers, whose side are now unbeaten in nine in all competitions, praised his side.
« On another day we could have won it, » he said. « We knew we’d have to have patience and there wouldn’t be too many goals.
– Everton 1-1 Leicester: Ancelotti defends Pickford after error
– Rodgers raves over Leicester response after naming half-time tactic change
– Southampton tiptoe on shards as glass ceiling is shattered
– With a bit more luck, we could've won the game: Rodgers after draw against Everton
– Pickford error denies Everton win in 1-1 draw with Leicester
– Everton denied as Pickford howler rescues Leicester
– Carlo Ancelotti explains Everton tactics against Leicester City and what went wrong
– Is Leicester City vs Leeds United on TV? Kick-off time and streaming details
– Everton vs Leicester City Player Ratings: 8/10 duo Barnes, Rodriguez stand out; Pickford get 5
– Everton fans vent their frustration in replies to Dominic Calvert-Lewin's tweet