Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has warned Manchester United fans they might have to do without blockbuster signings as the club counts the cost of the coronavirus pandemic. (More Football News)
United were heavily linked with Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho before the start of the season and are now one of a host of reported admirers for his team-mate Erling Haaland.
Both players would likely fetch transfer fees in excess of £100million, but United boss Solskjaer is unsure whether clubs will be so keen to engage in bidding wars as they adapt to a new financial climate.
« We have to be realistic, we have to be responsible in the way we do our business both on and off the pitch, » he told reporters.
« There’s improvements on the training ground, the stadium. We just have to look at the whole picture.
« Where can we spend the money? And how much is there? It’s just the real world now. It has changed.
« Of course, all clubs in the world are going through the same situation so it’s no different for other clubs than for us.
« I think there’s just going to be less and less transfers happening in the world of football until this changes. »
The 34-year-old has six goals in 17 Premier League appearances this season, only eight of which have been starts.
34 – Turning 34 today, Edinson Cavani is the oldest player to appear for Manchester United on his birthday in the Premier League since Edwin van der Sar in October 2005 (35), and oldest outfielder since Steve Bruce in December 1994 (also 34). Celebration. pic.twitter.com/l6yEFX4aOo
Cavani is pushing to return from a muscular injury in time to face Crystal Palace on Wednesday, and Solskjaer has not ruled out bolstering his forward line, even if it means looking at more creative signings along the lines of the Uruguay international as opposed to chasing the likes of Haaland.
« I always say that Mason [Greenwood], Anthony [Martial], Edinson… when we can really get them really firing that means we’re a very good team, » he added.
United travel to Palace looking to cut a 15-point gap to Manchester City before facing the Premier League leaders in Sunday’s derby at the Etihad Stadium.
‘Surprising’, Says Rajasthan HC On Arrest Of Jaipur Blast Accused Who Stayed In Jail For 12 Years; Grants Bail
– Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Will Be 'Realistic' And 'Responsible' Over Manchester United Signings
– Manchester United won't splash the cash in transfer window, says Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
– Man Utd's players with a future vs those up for sale this summer as changes beckon
– 'We Have To Be Realistic': Solskjaer Promises 'Responsible' Transfer At Man Utd
– Ole WON'T splash the cash! Solskjaer warns Manchester United must be 'realistic' in the transfer market due to the …
– Ole Gunnar Solskjaer drops hint on Erling Haaland and Jadon Sancho to Manchester United transfers by appearing to …
– Top ten strikers by market value as Manchester United make transfer decision
– How Man Utd could line up with Erling Haaland, Jadon Sancho and Varane if they land all five ambitious transfer targets
– Man Utd chief Woodward urged to sack Ole Gunnar Solskjaer because of Liverpool and Chelsea
– 'We have to be realistic' – Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer on transfer funds