OnePlus co-founder Carl Pei launched the name of his new consumer technology venture, ‘Nothing’, on Wednesday (January 27). The London-based company will be bringing out its first line of smart devices in the first half of 2021.
Pei’s venture has raised seed financing of about USD 7 million, equivalent to around Rs 51.4 crore. Indian entrepreneur Kunal Shah is one of the investors in the new company.
In a statement, Pei said that a sufficiently advanced technology should fade into the background for its users and feel like ‘nothing’ to them. The mission of this new venture is removing barriers between people and technology so as to bring about a seamless digital future, he said.
« It’s been a while since anything interesting happened in tech. It is time for a fresh breeze of change… We believe that the best technology is beautiful, yet natural and intuitive to use. When sufficiently advanced, it should fade into the background and feel like nothing, » said Pei, in his statement.
In its initial financing of USD 7 million, Nothing has among its investors such names as Kevin Lin (co-founder of Twitch), Tony Fadell (Principal at Future Shape and Inventor of iPods), Casey Neistat (YouTuber), Josh Buckley (CEO of Product Hunt), Steve Huffman (CEO of Reddit), Liam Casey (founder and CEO of PCH), and Paddy Cosgrave (founder of Web Summit).
It was announced earlier in January that CRED founder Kunal Shah has made an investment of an undisclosed amount in Nothing. Shah, who also co-founded Freecharge, has invested in various start-ups such as BharatPe, Khatabook, Kyt, Razorpay, Unacademy, Udayy, and Avail Finance.
It is to be noted that Pei is one of the co-founders of smartphone maker OnePlus. He quit the company in October 2020 so as to work on his new venture. OnePlus is today counted among premium smartphones in the world.
– OnePlus co-founder launches new venture 'Nothing', to bring smart devices in 2021
– OnePlus co-founder Carl Pei launches new consumer tech company 'Nothing'
– OnePlus co-founder Carl Pei announces Nothing, a London-based consumer technology company
– Carl Pei Unveils His New Venture “Nothing”
– What Is Carl Pei Up To After Quitting OnePlus? It's Really 'Nothing'
– OnePlus cofounder Carl Pei just launched a new smart device company called 'Nothing'
– OnePlus Co-Founder Carl Pei Launches 'Nothing', First Smart Device to Be Released by the First Half of 2021
– Nothing introduced by Carl Pei
– OnePlus Co-founder Carl Pei Joins Forces With Cred Founder Kunal Shah To Launch “Nothing”, A Tech Startup!
– What is Nothing? Explaining the OnePlus co-founder's new brand