Published: 17:07 GMT, 27 February 2021 | Updated: 17:48 GMT, 27 February 2021
Jadon Sancho has become the first and youngest player in Bundesliga history to reach 50 assists in less than 100 games after teeing up Mahmoud Dahoud’s opener against Arminia Bielefeld.
Sancho, who reached the milestone aged just 20 years and 339 days, then went on to double Borussia Dortmund’s advantage from the spot against the strugglers.
The England starlet has racked up plenty of eye-catching assists at Dortmund, but he had his team-mate Dahoud to thank here for reaching the landmark after the midfielder superbly lashed home his square pass from just outside the box.
Sancho’s assist for Mahmoud Dahoud made him the youngest player to reach 50 in the league
Sancho terrorising defenders has become a common theme in Germany’s top flight and the Englishman has reached the assists landmark in just his 99th game, with this his 11th league assist of the campaign in 21 matches.
The left winger then netted a penalty – his 36th Bundesliga goal – to put the contest beyond doubt, stepping up after Amos Pieper fouled Marco Reus. The goal took Sancho to six league strikes this term.
Real Madrid loanee Reinier rounded off the scoring on 81 minutes, as a rapid counterattack saw Sancho and Erling Haaland exchange passes before the Norwegian laid the ball off to the Brazilian for his first goal in Germany from around 12 yards.
Sancho’s record-breaking performance showed just why other top clubs in Europe, namely Manchester United, Real Madrid and Barcelona, are sniffing around the winger, who could end up leaving Dortmund in the summer.
Dortmund will nonetheless be glad to have him at their services for now with Sancho in auspicious form and playing a telling role here to help them climb up to fifth and close in on the Champions League places.
Bayer Leverkusen, however, play on Sunday and can move back above Dortmund if they can defeat Freiburg.
Bayern Munich’s principal challengers in the last few years have struggled for form this season, but may be starting to hit their stride as we enter the final few months of the campaign.
A vital 3-2 win against Sevilla in the first leg of their round-of-16 Champions League tie was followed by a thumping 4-0 triumph in the Revierderby at Schalke.
Dortmund’s next assignment is on Tuesday in the German Cup away at Borussia Monchengladbach, whose manager Marco Rose will take over from Terzic in the summer.
Share what you think
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on MailOnline. To do this we will link your MailOnline account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook.
– Jadon Sancho becomes the youngest (and fastest) player to reach 50 Bundesliga assists after setting up Mahmoud …
– Dortmund back in Bundesliga top five with second win in a row
– Jadon Sancho breaks Bundesliga record as Manchester United target gets goal and assist for Borussia Dortmund
– Dortmund back in top five with second win in a row
– Borussia Dortmund 3 Arminia Bielefeld 0: Jadon Sancho first Bundesliga star EVER to hit 50 assists in under 100 games
– The Haaland-Reinier connection marks the triumph of Dortmund
– Football: Dortmund back in top five with second win in a row
– Borussia Dortmund vs. Arminia Bielefeld: CONFIRMED line-ups, match stats and LIVE blog!
– Man of the Match Poll: Borussia Dortmund Claim Victory Over Visitors Arminia Bielefeld
– "Attackers often have to learn that hard work pays off"