Pep Guardiola has suggested that his career still has a long way to go Image: Martin Rickett / PA
Pep Guardiola has announced that he is considering staying in management for much longer than he originally expected.
The Manchester City boss, who turns 50 this month, has previously said he is not planning a long career as he has other interests alive that he wants to pursue.
But after Guardiola recently extended his Etihad Stadium contract until the summer of 2023, he now admits that he still thinks retirement is still a long way off.
« Experience helps you, especially the way I do my job, » said the Spaniard, who has won 29 important trophies in a brilliant career as a manager, including the magic responsible for Barcelona and Bayern Munich.
« I used to think I was going to retire soon. Now I think I’ll retire older. I dont know. ”
Guardiola is now in his fifth season with City, his longest tenure in management after three years with Barca and four with Bayern.
His eight trophies with the club include two Premier League wins. After a slow start to the current season, they want to embark on another title race.
City are undefeated in their last six Premier League games before heading to Chelsea on Sunday.
Guardiola sees this year’s race as the most open of its time in England.
Guardiola said, “If you think about what can happen in January and February – the two games (in hand) – we can lose those two games and anything can happen.
« In the Premier League, every game is so tough and it’s better to be calm. The real Premier League that I spoke to before landing said anyone could lose to anyone. I haven’t seen that before.
“This is the first time I’ve seen in the Premier League that a team can lose or win seven, after a draw and after a defeat. The results are unpredictable. ”
This season’s challengers include arch-rivals Manchester United, who City will face next week in the Carabao Cup semi-finals.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s team has been rejuvenated in recent weeks.
« Ole is happier than me, » said Guardiola, whose preparations were made by five positive tests for Covid-19 among his players over the Christmas period.
« But I’m not very worried about United. I’m so busy with what we have to do and what we can do with the players and the extraordinary people we have in the back room to move forward.
« They are there because they deserve it. Ever since I arrived I expected them to be there all the time. Sometimes it wasn’t possible last season, especially in the Premier League, but it’s there. ”
City will have to do without Stamford Bridge without the five players testing positive – all of whom are now isolating.
Two of them are known in Kyle Walker and Gabriel Jesus, but the other three – whose test results forced the game to be postponed in Everton on Monday – have yet to be named.
Get the latest sports news and the best opinion from our amazing team of sports writers delivered to your inbox every Friday.
Latest news from the world of sports, along with our best opinions
outstanding team of sports writers
Manchester City F. . C.. . , Pep Guardiola, Premier League, Everton FC, Chelsea F. . C.. . , Manchester United F. . C.. .
EbeneMagazine – AU – I think I’ll be retiring older – Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola
. . Related Title :
– I& # 39; I think I& # 39; I’m going to retire older – Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola
– Kevin De Bruyne & # 39; just before signing a new contract with Manchester City& # 39; Pep Guardiola is desperate to sign his contract . . .
– Manchester City& # 39; s Guardiola could extend managerial career
– Man City Chief Guardiola Talks Man Utd Challenging Liverpool – & # 39; I& # 39; am not affected & # 39;
– Guardiola reconsiders early retirement
– Pep Guardiola admits that rivals Man United are at the top because they deserve it
– Pragmatist Guardiola has optimized the balance between the press and defense of City&
– Combined XI by Chelsea & City: De Bruyne leads the squad as 3 Blues players in
– Pep Guardiola gives Man Utd too as he overlooks the Premier League title race
– Man City confident that the Chelsea game will continue despite the eighth positive coronavirus